Thursday, August 6, 2009

cluck like a chicken

Here I am, I guess you could call it camping. Except that I'm camping in an RV and there's internet here.

Yesterday we all went to the Sonoma County Fair like we do every year. I guess it's becoming a tradition. It's basically this big fair with rides, food, and animals like cows, pigs, chickens etc. They have contests to see which animals are the best. It's very..country like. My mom went when she was a child and now she brings us to carry on the tradition. It's not that bad except that we have to go and see everything.

When you first go into the fair, there's this expo with a bunch of people trying to sell you things. That's where we got all of our useless gadgets that lay around the house. I mean, who needs a sushi maker, a shamwow, and this other thing called "Magic Purple." All of it was a waste of money.

After we get through the people who try and sell you things, we go around the fair and look at all of the animals. We started with the cows, which were huge. I kept thinking that one of them was going to kick me or something. We were so close to the cows that you could pet them and the stables were open and everything. Some of them looked so fat and lazy. They would just lay their eating their hay.

Next were the pigs. I saw some of the piglets and they were so cute! Makes me want a pig, but as soon as I saw the full grown pigs, I changed my mind. The pigs were big and lazy like the cows. What I found saddening was the fact that the owners would hit the pigs to make them do what they wanted. They had these big sticks and they would hit the sides of the pigs. It looked sooo painful.

After the cows and pigs were the chickens. They were annoying. We used to have a rooster that we hatched out of an egg that our uncle gave us from his farm in Montana. (I know this sounds very strange). We named him Chicken Little and when he was grown, we took him back to Montana (in a cage attatched to the back of the RV) to live at my uncle's farm. Sadly, he died soon after. At first, my uncle told us the lie that he was eaten by a wolf trying to defend the other animals. We found out that he died because he stopped eating. Made me sad when I heard the news. He hatched on my birthday. We finally got done looking at all of the animals and got free ice cream :D

We drove up here, where I'm sitting now. And we're right next to the Russian River in some town called Gurensville or something. I really wish I was home though. Won't be back until Monday. Until then, I'll probably be making friendship braclets out of boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment